Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


If I have COVID-19 (Coronavirus) related questions

Please refer to our complete list of COVID-19 related FAQs.   

How Do I Renew My Coverage? 

If you’re enrolled in a Qualified Health or Dental Plan through Washington Healthplanfinder, you’ll need to renew your coverage each calendar year to stay covered. Customers who are auto-renewed into the same or similar plan for the upcoming coverage year will have information presented to them when they sign in to their account. If you like your auto-renewed plan, all you need to do is make your payment. During this time, you can shop and compare new health plans and even add new dental coverage. You can use a shopping tool called “Smart Planfinder” to make sure your plan next year is the best value for you or your family, and that your prescriptions, doctors or clinics are covered.

Near open enrollment, you’ll receive a renewal message that will give you the steps to finalize your coverage for the coming year. If your current plan is unavailable, this message will also include details about a new plan we’ve picked for you so you don’t have a gap in coverage. During open enrollment, you should browse and shop to make sure that you have the best coverage for your needs and budget.

You can shop and compare coverage options for next year starting November 1.

Make sure to finalize your coverage by December 15th for coverage that starts January 1st!

Washington Apple Health Can Be Renewed Year-Round
You can expect to get a letter about your annual health coverage renewal 60 days before the end of your certification period. Washington Apple Health coverage must be renewed each year to maintain health coverage.

Sign In and Renew Your Coverage

Sign In


If I want to be eligible again for health insurance premium tax credits?

File and reconcile your federal taxes using your 1095-A and Form 8962. Even if you don’t normally file an income tax return, if you received health insurance premium tax credits last year, you need to file a tax return. You cannot file a 1040-EZ.
It can take the IRS up to 10 weeks to process a tax return depending on how it is filed (paper vs. electronic). After you get confirmation that your tax return has been processed, return to Washington Healthplanfinder and report the change that you have recently filed your taxes. Sign in to your Washington Healthplanfinder account and complete these steps:
•    Click “Report a Change in Income or Household”
•    Select “Yes” to the option “Something else has changed”
•    Review your information and update your application if necessary
•    Submit your application
•    Review your eligibility status and click “See If You Qualify”
This may give you a new eligibility decision and apply any advanced premium tax credit you are eligible for to the health plan that you select.


    If I want to change my current plan or enroll for the first time

    If you’ve had qualifying life changes, like if you move, have a baby, or lose other health coverage, you may be able to enroll in coverage for the first time or change your current plan through a special enrollment period.


    What if I lost my health insurance coverage or I am about to?

    • If you’ve already lost coverage:
      • Your coverage can start the first of the month after you apply and enroll or sooner depending on the circumstances. 
    • If you know you’ll lose coverage within the next 60 days:
      • You can apply before you lose your coverage to help make sure there’s no gap in coverage. For example, if you know you’ll lose coverage on April 30, and apply and enroll in a plan April 10, your new coverage will likely start in May.

    If my income has changed and I need to update it in my application

    1. Sign in to your account.
      Hint: If you forgot your username or password: Do not create a new account. Reset your password or retrieve your username.
    2. Select "Report a Change" on your dashboard.
    3. Select "YES" to the question "My household income has changed by $150 or more, and it's expected to last at least two consecutive months."
    4. If you want to apply for financial help: Select "No" to the question "My household wants to apply for a full cost Qualified Health Plan and no longer wants health insurance Premium Tax Credits or Washington Apple Health." 
    5. Update your income information and E-sign your application.

    If I need to update other changes to my application

    1. Sign in to your account.
      Hint: If you forgot your username or password: Do not create a new account. Reset your password or retrieve your username.
    2. Select "Report a Change" on your dashboard.
    3. Select the change you'd like to report on the "Report your changes" screen. 
      Hint: If you'd like to apply for free or low-cost Washington Apple Health or financial help answer "No" to the question "My household wants to apply for a full cost qualified health plan and no longer wants health insurance tax credits, cost-sharing, or Washington Apple Health. 


    If I would like to renew my Washington Apple Health coverage  

    1. Sign in to your account.
      Hint: If you forgot your username or password, do not create a new account. Reset your password or retrieve your username.
    2. Select "Renew" located on the left-hand side or select “Shop Current Plans” on the dashboard.
    3. Complete the application and E-sign to submit your renewal.


    If I need to submit my documents to finish my application

    Download our mobile app, WAPlanfinder, to submit your documents with the snap of a photo. Sign in to your account, go to Document Center, upload your documents and you’re done.

    Download the WAPlanfinder mobile app through the App Store.      Download the WAPlanfinder mobile app through the Google Play store.

    Submit your documents by visiting your account online.

    • Sign in to your account
    • Click the tab “Document Center”
    • The documents you need to submit will be under the “Documents Needed” section
    • Click “Upload”

    Learn more about submitting documents.


    If I want to understand how Smart Planfinder works

    Smart Planfinder is a tool to help you find the best health coverage for you and your family. When you are shopping, use Smart Planfinder to answer a few questions about your household's care needs and preferences. Smart Planfinder will recommend a few health plans that are most likely to meet your needs based on the information you provide.  
    More information about Smart Planfinder. 


    If I want to cancel my coverage

    Before canceling:

    • If you have trouble paying your monthly insurance costs, we recommend that you update your income in your application.
    • Your change in income may qualify you for free or low-cost Washington Apple Health or financial help paying for coverage. 
    • Contact your insurance company directly to discuss payment options. 

    Contact your health insurance provider directly for more information on payment options:

    Apple Health Members 
    Bridgespan Health Members 
    Kaiser Permanente Members  
    Molina Healthcare Members  
    Lifewise Health Plan of Washington Members 
    Premera Blue Cross Members 
    Providence Health Plan Members 
    Coordinated Care Members 
    PacificSource Health Plan Members  
    Community Health Plan Members  
    United Healthcare Members 
    Regence Members 

    How to cancel:
    View a step-by-step guide on how to cancel coverage. 


    If I want to create a password for my account

    If you don’t remember your password, you can reset it online. Click “Sign in” on the homepage and then “Forgot Your Password?” You’ll then be prompted to enter your username and create a new password.

    When you’re ready to create your new password, use the tips below:

    • Don’t use any of your last 24 passwords
    • Use a password with at least 4 characters different than your previous passwords
    • Randomly combine letters, numbers, and at least one of the special characters
    • Replace letters with numbers when possible (for example, replace the letter E with the number 3)


    What are tax credits?

    The premium tax credit is a refundable tax credit designed to help eligible individuals and families with low or moderate income afford health insurance purchased through Washington Healthplanfinder. The size of your premium tax credit is based on a sliding scale. Those who have a lower income get a larger credit to help cover the cost of their insurance.

    For detailed information about tax credits, visit the IRS website .

    If I have questions about 1095 tax forms

    1095-A (Other health and dental insurance Members)
    The 1095-A is similar to other tax documents that customers commonly receive, like the W-2 and 1099 forms. You will need it to file your federal income tax return. This form helps to determine whether you received too much or too little financial assistance paying for your monthly premiums. Customers enrolled in a Qualified Health Plan will receive a 1095-A tax form by early February. If you were enrolled in more than one plan during the year, you’ll get a 1095-A for each plan. Customers enrolled in a catastrophic health plan will not receive a 1095-A. If you or a household member used tax credits, you must file a federal income tax return.

    To get your 1095-A Form:

    • Sign in to your account
    • Go to your Message Center 

    If you need to request a correction to your 1095-A, fill out a correction request online.

    1095-B (Free or low-cost Washington Apple Health Members)
    Customers enrolled in free or low-cost Washington Apple Health (Medicaid) coverage for one or more months of the last tax year will receive an IRS tax form 1095-B from the Washington State Health Care Authority. The form is not available in your Message Center on Washington Healthplanfinder. If you lost or did not receive your form, you can request your form online or call the Health Care Authority at 1-800-562-3022. 

    To get your 1095-B Form: 


    If I have questions about why I must file taxes.

    When you signed up for health insurance, you had to estimate your next years’ income to determine your tax credit. If you had changes in your income or household size throughout the year, it might have impacted the final amount of your tax credit. The 1095-A and IRS Form 8962 help you determine the final amount of tax credit due and ensure that you could get a tax credit in the future. IRS regulations require that any customer enrolled in a Qualified Health Plan with tax credits file a federal tax return using these forms.

    If you do not file a tax return and reconcile the tax credit you received last year, you will lose the opportunity to receive tax credits until the IRS has confirmed you’ve filed your taxes. It can take the IRS up to 10 weeks to process a tax return.

    For detailed information about tax credits and filing taxes, visit the IRS website.