Reporting Income Changes | Washington Healthplanfinder

Reporting Income Changes

If I am on Washington Apple Health, should I report an income change (for example, I start receiving unemployment income) in Washington Healthplanfinder?

No. Existing Apple Health customers should not report changes in their application during the COVID-19 emergency.

Families who have members on Apple Health and members receiving tax credits or qualified health plan coverage should continue to report changes in income to see if they qualify for free or low-cost Apple Health or financial help (tax credits). 

My family has some members on Washington Apple Health and some members receiving tax credits. Should I report an income change?

Families who have members on Apple Health and members receiving tax credits or qualified health plan coverage should continue to report changes in income to see if they qualify for free or low-cost Apple Health or financial help (tax credits). 

Should I report the additional $600 per week in unemployment benefits as income? What employment income should I enter?

  • No. All customers should not include this additional $600 per week when reporting their unemployment benefit income in Washington Healthplanfinder.

  • By the end of June, Healthplanfinder will be updated to capture whether you are receiving the $600. In the meantime, please do not report this information. We will reach out when this update is complete.

  • New applicants should continue to enter their weekly benefit amount. You can access this information on the Employment Security Department website, listed under the “Summary” tab in your SecureAccess Washington account. This amount will not include the additional $600.

What if I am enrolled in a plan and my income has changed?

  • If you are enrolled in free or low-cost Apple Health: 
    • Customers already receiving Apple Health should not report income changes in their application during the COVID-19 emergency.

    • If at least one member of your household is receiving tax credits or qualified health plan coverage, those members should continue to report changes in income to see if they qualify for free or low-cost Apple Health or financial help (tax credits). 

    • Individuals will not lose Apple Health (Medicaid) coverage or have a decrease in benefits during the emergency unless they move out of state or request termination.

  • If you’re enrolled in other health insurance with financial help (tax credits): 
    • Update your application (report a change) immediately. If your income goes down or you gain a household member:
      • You could qualify for free or low-cost coverage through Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
      • You could qualify for more savings than you’re getting now. This could lower what you pay in monthly premiums

I received my federal stimulus payment, do I need to report this income in Washington Healthplanfinder?

No. Do not include this payment ($1,200 per adult and $500 per dependent child) when reporting your income in Washington Healthplanfinder.

What income do I report for tax dependents?

Only report income of tax dependents and children who are 18 and younger if their income meets or exceeds the tax filing threshold requirements to file a federal tax return. This rule applies regardless of whether or not the individual actually files a tax return.

The applicable tax filing threshold requirements for tax dependents are:

  • Earned income that is equal to or greater than $12,000 or;
  • Unearned (investment) income that is equal to or greater than $1,050 or;
  • If there is both earned and unearned income and it is equal to or greater than the larger of  a)  $1,050; or b) earned income (up to $11,650) plus $350.

Please note, the federal tax filing threshold requirements are updated by the IRS every year.

What income do I not report?

Washington Healthplanfinder will only ask for the income and deductions needed to calculate your eligibility. If you don’t see a place to enter a type of income you get, like child support, it’s because that income type is not needed and you don’t need to enter it.

Common examples of income you don’t need to include are:

  • Cash assistance from other agencies or supplemental security income (SSI)
  • Child support payments
  • Time loss benefits
  • Title IV-E and state foster care payments
  • Some veteran’s benefits
  • Stimulus Check
  • Additional $600 weekly unemployment income 

How do I report income that changes month to month?

Washington Healthplanfinder asks you to provide income from the current month. If your income changes from month to month, you can either:

  • Enter your actual monthly income, and report the new amount any time your income changes; or
  • Average your monthly income over a period of time.

Keep Your Income Current

If your income changes by more than $150 a month, update your account. Reporting income changes as soon as possible will help you avoid paying more at tax time. If you receive more tax credits then you are eligible for based on your year-end income, you may have to pay the money back when you file your taxes.

How do I report self-employment income?

Self-employment can be full-time or part-time and include independent contractors, sole proprietors, partnerships, and corporations. 

When reporting self-employment income, you should enter your current estimated net monthly self-employment income (profits after allowable business expenses are paid). Allowable business expenses are available from IRS instructions for Schedule C, E, F, 1065, 1120, and 1120 tax forms.

Business expenses can include:

  • Car and truck expenses (for travel during the workday, not commuting)
  • Depreciation
  • Employee wages and fringe benefits
  • Property, liability, or business interruption insurance
  • Interest (including mortgage interest paid to banks)
  • Legal and professional services
  • Rent or lease of business property and utilities
  • Commissions, taxes, licenses, and fees
  • Advertising
  • Contract labor
  • Repairs and maintenance
  • Certain business travel and meals

What deductions do I report?

Washington Healthplanfinder will subtract any allowable deductions you might have.

Allowable deductions include:

  • Student loan interest
    • Only deduct the loan interest you have paid and not the principle amount of your loan. You can deduct a yearly maximum of $2,500.
  • Educational expenses (tuition paid out of pocket for tuition and fees)
    • Do not include living expenses, activity fees, personal expenses, or tuition paid by scholarships, grants, or other financial aid. You can deduct a yearly maximum of $4,000.
  • Moving expenses for active-duty military due to relocation
  • Licensed educator expenses for unreimbursed items, like books, supplies, and other equipment
  • Health savings account (a pre-tax/tax deductible contribution to a savings account designated for medical related expenses)
    • Individuals can deduct $3,350 per year and a family can deduct $6,750 per year.
  • Self-employed health insurance deduction
  • Spousal Support/Alimony paid (don’t include child support)
    • Does not apply to divorces finalized after January 1, 2019
  • Contributions to a pre-tax retirement account payment

How is income verified?

Washington Healthplanfinder uses Social Security data and other electronic data available from various federal agencies to verify household income provided on an application. In cases where the information entered cannot be verified, more information will be requested. To keep your coverage, you’ll need to submit the requested information in the specified time frame.

How do I update my income in the application (or report other changes)?

  1. Sign in to your account.
    Hint: If you forgot your username or password: Do not create a new account. Reset your password or retrieve your username.
  2. Select "Report a Change" on your dashboard located under "Quick Links".

Report a change menu

3. Select "YES" to the question "My household income has changed by $150 or more, and it's expected to last at least two consecutive months" or other changes you want to report. 

  • If you want to apply for financial help or free or low-cost Apple Health: Select "No" to the question "My household wants to apply for a full cost Qualified Health Plan and no longer wants health Insurance Premium Tax Credits or Apple Health." 

 5. Update your income information and E-sign your application to submit your changes.